Wednesday 18 July 2007

What an honour

This morning caretaker of the building brought me a cup of coffee. This is the man I thought I was a pain in his back side all along. I am the first person to come to the building in the morning sometimes the last one to leave, he is one person who wakes up extra early to come to open the basement for me and in the evening he will come to my office and check with me if I will be leaving late. For all his troubles I never considered to buy him a cigarette or something as a token of appreciation. Maybe is because I thought he was just doing his job, but this morning he caught me by surprise. I asked him why? With a very broad smile he said, “Because you deserve it” and that was it. What an honour from the old man.

5 comments:

Toto said...

Wow, sweet old man you have there.

Anonymous said...

Random acts of kindness. WE keep talking about them at my bible study group, and last night on 702 the presenter challenged his audience to do it for two people they know.
Maybe this man was listening to the show?
We should all strive to do these random acts of kindness every day. And it needn't be big things, just a smile, greeting somebody you don't normally greet...nice man and a nice gesture there.

Anonymous said...

...buy that guy a smoke. that's the small everyday-solidarity that makes things endurable!

i enjoy reading ur stuff, having returned to germany from johannesburg in april. i miss that place, in spite of all the things u r right about.

take care & continue in biko's spirit.

katharina

Anonymous said...

...buy that guy a smoke. that's teh small everyday-solidarity that makes things endurable!

i enjoy reading ur stuff, having returned to germany from johannesburg in april. i miss that place, in spite of all the things u r right about.

take care & continue in biko's spirit.

katharina

Peanut said...

Oh my gosh, reading this sent a chill down my spine. it is the most fantastic gesture. i am so touched.